Monday, July 21, 2008

Something just a little different

The giant boulder toss Hak and override have been released on the vault http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2HakpaksOriginal.Detail&id=359

Now I should of returned to Risen Hero like a good designer but something happened.

Somewhere between searching the vault and reading the bioware forums an idea struck me. I had discovered what the game was missing . . .

It was time for a goblin module.

No more elves, dwarves or those silly half-breeds. It was time for the underdogs to have their day. No longer would they be experience providers just to get your character through those first few levels. No more will the goblins give out 7 experience points instead they will be collecting the experience points.

At character creation there is only one choice for race. Goblin.



Custom color 2da allows for a varied color scheme that matches the above description.
Unfortunately only the skin is tintable and there is only one head and one hair style.


But to make up for the lack of physical alterations there are six goblin gods to choose from. They may not all be from the Forgotten Realms but these are what my internet searches found.



The last bit of changes made gave the goblins more appropriate sound sets, they now grunt, groan and hiss. I was hoping to get into the random name generator so you could be offered a name like "Foul Toe the Rank".



Now I am not really sure what I am going to do with this since I already have little time to work on my main project, Risen Hero.

But the idea that I have floating around is a small noncombat module that is made up of various puzzles. The goblin PC will have to interact with other humoniod and giant races either helping them or getting around them; what chances will a goblin have against a troll? This would be the type of module where you wander around collecting all those bizarre items because you may need them all for different quest and puzzles. Something that is fun with a different challenge (opposed to the usual kill your enemies) and has a bunch of humor thrown in.

But there is the time issues, and this may never come to be.

3 comments:

Wyrin said...

i like this

a non-standard race mod would be really fun I think.... but sounds like your getting to the stage where it's easy to get distracted from finishing the main project and ideas slip into your head ;)

I had a kobold vs gnomes I dea I wanted to flesh out at some point. How easy was this to do?

Elf des coquillages said...

I'd really like that module to happen - but watch out for exhaustion! Even if it's not related at all, goblins and adventure brings back memories of the classic Gobliiins series from Sierra.

It's also cool seeing more NWN2 modders interested in the adventure genre, I mean, with Amraphael's Zork, Adam Miller who said there was going to be a short text adventure in DW3, the ongoing remake of King's Quest IV (and my own humble project)... begins to make a few!

Shaughn said...

Wyrin I've been dealing with the distractions since the start. The difference is that up until now I could incorporate them into Risen Hero. The half-fiend companion, tintable ice mephits, boulder throwing and even a script that takes your party and calculates you challenge rating based on a four person party.
As for setting up as nonstandard race it was pretty easy. I used five 2das and a custom tlk. I had to change racial and subracialtype to deactivate all the player races and add a goblin race. I found it easier to add goblin to both those instead of using the goblinoid. I copied the gnome racial feat and removed and added a couple of feats renaming it for the goblin and did the same with the half-orc colors. The last change was to the soundset.2da. I disabled all the player choices not wanting an overly verbal player. Cut and pasted the other goblin/orc/ogre sound sets and referenced my 2da for the names "snarly" etc.

Thanks elf des coquillages. I don't know how far I will go with this but it is more of a light hearted fun game.