Thursday, October 29, 2009

Congrats to the Alphas Out There

It is motivating see others getting ready to move their projects forward and it gives me hope that sometime soon I will hopefully have this out for the community. Since seeing E.C.Patterson and jclef's alpha post I have found myself working a bit more in the toolset, still spending a lot of my free time working on the kitchen and dinning room remodel. The cabinets are on order then it really should just be trimming out the rooms and the flooring.

With the current area I have started to use the coloring tool more. In my past areas I have used it but generally just adding grey shades to define the terrain. I have been experimenting with using much more colors on top of the terrain textures and I am quite happy with the depth it adds. Making mud look wet, trails from run off and just general muck. I am closing in on the end and I am still discovering new ways to do things. Playing this campaign it will be noticeable as I gained more confidence and abilities in area design and scripting. I have gone back a little to touch up here and there so it would be overly blatant as well as improving or just trashing and making all new scripts.

And the area progresses:

A gate to nowhere good.


A bit of wholesome carnage


Part of the fortification.


Wet mud with the stagnant water in front of the wall



More of the same from the opposite angle.





4 comments:

Wyrin said...

that's a nice muddy well-trodden fortification there!

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

That's a very dark and morose looking area. Not the place for a picnic. ;)

Lance.

Jclef said...

Awesome looking area, bud - I really like what you did with the hanging corpses and Wooden walls. It definitely looks like an evil stronghold. And yeah - a little color goes a LONG way.

I usually use it for shading under EVERYTHING. You're trenches look very good with the extra detail - keep it up!

EC said...

Area looks great! Love that spike pit.