Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Damn You Party Conversations

That is how I spent the other day play testing.

I learned a important thing about party conversations and how starting them differs from other conversations. This issue I had was there were four items that would start a conversation when the player when used. The conversation would start but only the first line would appear as a speak string. Before switch to party conversations, one of the items used a nwn1 convo style and worked fine. On the use script I had the user start a convo with themselves. This however doesn't work with party conversations. If a companion used the item the conversation start but that companion wasn't part of the conversation. So I figured ok a player can't start a conversation with themselves with a party conversation, I could live with that. My next solution was to use an ipoint in the area, and since the conversation could be started anywhere in the area I have the script ignore start distance. With this I discovered that start distance and involved distance (I just made that term up) are different. Again the conversation would start but drop out after the first line since the player and companions were too far from the ipoint. At this point it was time to take a break and work on something else. When I returned I had the script destroy an ipoint with a certain tag then create a new ipoint at the users location giving it the same tag as the destroyed one. This worked. The conversation could now be in initiated anywhere and multiple times.

So don't know if my self taught scripting methods caught up with me or if this is an issue that others have run into as well. Regardless I figured I would share and maybe save someone some time.

Other then this play testing is going well, it is taking a little longer then I thought but nothing real earth shattering. My wife will be doing one play through now that I fixed all I can find. Then it will be going out to beta testers. If your interested let me know.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love when people detail the problems they suffer through: last week I did battle with ClearAllActions(and it wasn't pretty). Glad, I guess, I'm not the only one to suffer.

I might have enough time to do some testing for you. No guarantees--new job and all--but I'd like to help you out.

Wyrin said...

ah, this is something i may have to go back and check myself, thanks

BTW note that there's also the conversation distance in the campaign settings that by default is quite small so upping that can help

Kamal said...

I ran into exactly this. And Wyrin was the one that solved it.
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=721694&forum=113&highlight=

Shaughn said...

@ Chaos
Suffer post always let you know your not alone in toolset frustration.
Any amount of testing will be appreciated, I'll be in contact when I release the BETA.

@ Wyrin & Kamal I will look @ the campaign conv. distance. Do you know what the measurement units are for that?

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Testing can be a pain. ;) I am surprised that you had a "distance problem" when using the ipoint. I am fairly certain I have not encountered this in any of my own conversations.

As some of the other comments say, check your campaign setting, as that has a bearing. I have set mine to 15 currently, but may increase it to 20, as that is the SoZ setting.

Lance.

Kamal said...

I'd guess it's meters since the other NWN2 units are. IIRC the default measure is 2. I increased it to 20.

Note that this doesn't mean the pc stops 20 meters away for a conversation. I didn't notice any change in the distance the player started the conversations at.

Eguintir Eligard said...

Too bad this wasnt up on the boards as an issue, I figured this out on my last battle pre-speech, that I could start the conv at any distance, but I Would get a 1 liner reply from the BOSS npc and then it broke.