Friday, October 15, 2010

Chapter 2. Back to the toolset

I have mostly wrapped up play-testing kamal's Path of Evil. It was a fun game and should definitely make every one's to-play list. He did a great job creating an evil game. Until this game I always was never able to complete a game playing evil. I definitely plan to use some of his approaches to evilness when creating evil routes in Risen Hero.

Below is a screen shot from Path of Evil. It is the general area from Risen Hero. In the upper left corner you have the Trielta Hills where the Ruined Village was. Then off to the right is the Sunset Mountains, where the monastery and Dor'Gallon's fortifications were. What took a whole game to cross, my character in POE was able to do in 1 to 2 seconds. But then again that guy was a hell of a runner. When I found the scale in the bottom cornor he could run 120 miles in like 4 seconds.





So building Chapter 2.



I made a bit more of a suspense or suprise ending to chapter 1 than I originally planned for. But it seemed to fit best in that spot and trying to place it into the beginning of chapter 2 wouldn't have worked as well.



For chapter 2 I am trying to grab the player and bring them right back into the game with the start. You get to return to a familiar area, had to do just a little updating to show the passage of time. The bigger twist I withheld for the beginning of this chapter. I won't give it away, but it was something that was very hard to do and I've been thinking about it for quite a while. I've been trying to see if I could avoid it or change it, but for the story demands it so it is happening whether I like it or not. But enough of that.



First day back and I updated an area, spent a bit of time in the visual effect editor, wrote and scripted 2 cutscenes (still need to do static cameras), created a new club with a on-hit script and a bunch of other stuff. So it was probably one of the more productive times I've had with the toolset. Maybe being away for a month just having this stuff rattle around might have helped.



With chapter 2 I plan on opening up the play, breaking free of the linear play of chapter 1. The player is now more powerful and the marauding army has been broken. The player has more allies and is no longer running for survival. To create a bit more of this free play I am working on a wold map. Yes, a world map, I don't really like overland maps. Too much walking and waiting. You have to load the overland map then trek across it then load the area you trying to go to. If there are wandering monsters you need to load the battle area then reload the overland map. So I will use the world map, click and go.



I do plan on using the overland map but more for individual area. I have a swamp that the player will be mucking through. For that area I am looking at using the overland map. There will be the plot area they are looking for and numerous other areas of interest they can look into. I am hoping to create more of a vast feeling to the area and offer more side quests. The swamp will be similar to the Waste area in chapter 1. A bunch of non-plot areas to gain experience, develop the character and just do and find neat stuff.



An another thing I have been thinking about (but no plans yet) is using the overland map to create a city. It will decrease the time needed to develop the city and reduce resources need to run a full busy city with wandering NPCs yelling out speak strings and such. In the overland map I could see some guards, or other NPCs wandering around to interact with. Then the individual areas accessed through the overland map could be a single street, alley, park or building interior. I think creating a single vibrant street would be much easier and a better experience for the player then trying to create a block or two that have maybe 1 or 2 points of interest and the rest is fluff. I hope to cut down on the 3 dozen NPCs either that don't talk or all use the same random talk tree.

So there it is. Chapter 2 is in the works.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The overland map city sounds interesting. It might be difficult to pull off, as the OLM seems mostly designed for 'abstracted travel' and stuff like that that rather than interaction, but it could work...I can imagine it working, anyways.

Also, congratulations on chapter 2! Good to know NWN2 is going to have interesting projects for a while longer! :)

Shaughn said...

overland city is just an idea I'm floating around. It may or maynot fly. The city is on the long term list of stuff to do. Right now I still don't know what city I will involve

Kamal said...

Iirc, Hoegbo is also doing a overland map city or considering it. We'd talked about it some as a way to handle a large city.

The first advantage to it is the builder does not have to include the level of fine detail in placeables and textures otherwise necessary to make a city come to life.

The second is you can make a very large city that doesn't feel at best like a series of districts.

The drawback is static doors lock themselves to the 1,1,1 size. So you have to delete all static doors.

Also glad you like the PoE beta.

Unknown said...

Hi there - I do machinima in other games (mainly the Total War series)...trailers for mods, even a full length movie. Just starting your NWN2 adventure, and enjoying it. Got me thinking of experimenting with doing a cinematic trailer for your mod (never done NWN machinima, but been playing with it recently). Maybe a 1 minute vid with some Risen Hero highlights...what do you think?

Check out my youtube page here: http://www.youtube.com/user/thenannymoh?feature=mhum (youtube name thenannmymoh), and let me know if you are interested(thenannymoh@yahoo.com)

cheers!

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Hi Shaughn,

I thought there may be potential to use the OLM for different ideas, including the kind of thing you are thinking about.

I will be interested in your results.

Lance.

Shaughn said...

The swamp area is coming out nicely. The overland map in SOZ generaly uses a .5 scale but it isn't an actual scale, some buildings and escpecially towns don't fit.

I am trying to maintain a true .5 scale. Buildings you encounter the doors will be big enough that the map avatar would be able to use.

Next update I will have sone screen shots.