Friday, October 22, 2010

Swamp Overland

Since the last post, I have been working on the swamp overlandmap. At this point I think I have most of the area design all set. May need to reduce a few VFXs to lower some of the memory usage, maybe too many interior tan fogs over the mucky water. I borrowed the OC swamp day/night cycle and just increased the fog and decreased the daytime light intensity.

For the area I tried to maintain a true 1/2 scale, unlike SOZ that uses 1/2 scale for visibility but isn't a true scale. As for creating a swamp it was a true challenge figuring out how to create the land with a workable walkmesh and have minimum dips and bumps. I found what would be nice rolling countryside in a normal area turned into massive hills and holes. After a few different attempts to on how to create the random walkpaths through the swamp I discovered a fairly easy way to do it. I had created all the major points within the swamp first and just had to connect them. I flattened the ground so it was .1 higher then the water, with with a massive brush I used the noise feature at 100%. That created the random low and high points then it was a matter of raising and lowering the terrain to connect the low spots and smooth out the high spots. For doing that I used a inner of 3 and outer of 4 at around 15%. The water is all unwalkable for a couple of reason. The first is there are alligators in there and the second was trying to maintain a walkable height so characters wouldn't disappear just wasn't going to happen.

So now onto the terrain triggers, spawning 2das and whatnot.

Does anyone know of a good overland map tutorial. I search the vault and come up with very little. The official one is garbage and barely tells you anything. Right now I am going through the global scripts and poking through both SOZ and WPM to figure this out.

Below are some screen shots:































2 comments:

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Hi,

I know Mike did a tutorial. I have not had time to check everything in it, but it has scored a couple of 10s to date:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2Tutorials.Detail&id=32358&id=129

Lance.

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Hi,

Actually, on second thoughts, that may have been maps and not overland maps .... I think I made this mistake before. :(

However, if you have any questions, I may be able to help as I did look at the overland map quite a bit. I did end up changing some scripts, so I may not have every detail, but may be able to give a guide.

Lance.