Wednesday, December 28, 2011

---Something Clever Should Go Here---

No screen shots this time...Maybe next time. Progress has been slow over the past two months, though I keep the toolset open and chip away where I can. Mostly I have been working on wrapping up the conversations for the ogre tribe and polishing up the demonic merchant's conversations. I just added a new feat today, its part of scope creep. It doesn't do or offer the player anything other than maybe make them laugh. I still need to make an icon, if I'm feeling generous I'll post a screen shot of it completed on the next update. Conversations. I won't complain too much here. Anyone who has followed my blog knows that conversations are the most difficult part of modding for me. They are what make a game, adding depth and diversity to it. A short plot conversation for me is 2000+ words and only a 1/4, if even that, will be seen in any one play through. An example will be the most recent ogre conversation I have been working on. If is purely a optional branch that will add to the main plot line, but won't take anything away if it is not done. You can ask the ogres to help you after a lengthy intro. During the intro 1 out of 7 of the companions will randomly interject. The player will then have a chance to ask the ogres for help. There will be 4 skill based nodes that will only appear if the player has a high enough rank then 2 other opinions. One of the opinions is a slightly evil response that has no skill checks the last if an auto fail, but if the right companions are in the party, 1 out of 5 will interject with a success to move the conversation on. I have recently been playing Fallout 3, and the conversations have been bothering me. They are all very static with little to no change as the game progresses. The one that irritated me the most was the conversation for Gob, a ghoul in Megaton. I found his aunt later in the game and she told me say hi to him. So the next time I was in town I talked to him and nothing. I can't say "Hey I found your aunt" with either a compliment or insult added to it. This little thing, while it adds nothing to the plot takes away from the immersion and game play. I don't know if Bethesda improved their conversations with Fallout Las Vegas or Skyrim, I'll likely find out at some point. So to wrap it up, conversations are important. and I'm working like hell to make sure mine are interesting and have dynamic parts that add to game play. Screen shots next time.

4 comments:

Eguintir Eligard said...

I like the list on the side of your blog. I know you aren't planning to jam as much custom hak into your second chapter of the saga, but you can never go wrong having every kind of monster possible. That and a UI facelift and you can bring a fresh experience.

Congratulations if you manage to pull off being one of the very few multi chapter campaign authors.

Kamal said...

Skyrim fixes that reactivity thing, but goes too far imo. Guards on one side of the world know you've become head of the wizard's college on the other side of the world for instance.

Shaughn said...

Hi there EE. The list is a huge help in just keeping an organized list of what I like on the vault. It's sometimes difficult to find these things with the vault searches, especially when trying to recommend something to another builder. I have a few things added to the next chapter, but not too much. Especially since not too many new items are popping up on the vault. There is one person who has done a number of reskins that I will likely take advantage of.

Kamal that is unfortunate they took it a little too far, but getting recognition is likely better than getting none. I have found since I have started modding I am a lot more critical of little things in games. -Just throw a few more checks in there, come on game studios!-

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Hi Shaughn,

Interesting read.

I have made a note about the conversation style you like ... ;) Maybe I can learn a thing or two there.

Lance.